For my portfolio I wanted to put to use what i've learnt, and use only what I needed to make the page operate. The end result is a website that performs efficiently on any platform and is extremely browser compatible.
The biggest challenge with this project came with the need for a content management system (CMS).
When working on projects for myself, accessibility is never a concern. If I need to go in and change something, I can easily and quickly do so. However because this project would be managed by someone else, I needed to create pages that were easy to use for someone with no programming experience.
This website was a lot of fun for me. Besides giving me a more legitimate platform for my contracting, it was the first time I really tried to push my design knowledge to the next level.
The biggest thing that I learnt from this project is that rapid development is key. Verifying page analytics can be heartbreaking, as an element that you put a lot of effort into may only get a fraction of the total page views.
Ultimately this project taught me where to invest my time, and improved my dev cycle in the long run.